One in four of us dread a visit to the dentist, but there are ways to overcome your fear.
Being afraid of the dentist means different things to different people. Maybe it’s the thought that treatment will hurt, or that the sounds and smells bring back memories of bad experiences as a child.
The good news is that Dr Chandrashekar understands patients’ fears. With a combination of kindness and gentleness the team at Goodall Dental Practice can do a lot to make your dental treatment a stress free and pleasant experience.
Dental techniques have improved so much over the last few years that modern dental treatment can now be completely painless. If you have not been to see a dentist for some time, you will probably find that things have improved a lot since your last visit. You will find the general attitude is more relaxed, the dental techniques and safety procedures are much better, and the equipment is more up to date.
Why choose Goodall Dental Practice?
- You will feel relaxed with our small, friendly team that have plenty of training and experience in dealing with nervous patients. (Just take a look at our patient testimonials)
- You will be put at ease as soon as you step through the door of our practice, designed as a calming and relaxing space. We are not a large practice where you will be kept waiting in a noisy, busy waiting area.
- You will always see the same dentist- Dr Chandrashekar, who has a wealth of experience treating nervous patients and a calm and reassuring manner.
- To help you on the journey to receiving dental treatment, we keep up to date with the latest equipment, tips and techniques.
- You will have the time to discuss your anxiety and together we will find ways to move forward with treatment at a pace that you are happy with.
- You will join the many anxious patients we have treated that used to dread the thought of visiting a dentist and are now happy to return for regular check-ups and treatment.
- The most common comment we hear at the end of that first appointment is ‘I wish I’d found you years ago!’
Dr Chandrashekar’s Top Tips for nervous patients
- At some point before your first appointment, visit the surgery to have a look around and meet the team. Tell the team that you’re anxious so we know beforehand.
- Pick an appointment time early in the morning so you have less time to dwell on it, or at a time to suit you where you have no other commitments to worry about. Allow yourself plenty of time so you are not feeling rushed, and eat before you come so there’s no chance of you feeling feint.
- The first appointment will simply be a check-up and chat, so don’t worry that you’ll be launched into having a filling, the drill or a needle. See this first visit as your chance to get to know the team and tell us about yourself.
- Bring a friend with you to your appointment. We won’t mind if they accompany you throughout the check-up or treatment.
- Agree a sign with the dentist to signal that you need a break and want them to stop. It can be as simple as pointing your finger, and will help you feel more in control.
If you think it will help, we can start gradually with a clean and polish then work up to more extensive treatment once you’ve built up trust and rapport.
- Bring a music player with you to listen to music during your visit. It will help you relax.
For more information on how Goodall Dental Practice can help you, or to book your first appointment call the team on 01922 642621, or click here to send an online request.